Sunday, June 12, 2011

Progress on Whole Costume

For the last week or so I have been busy with family life and getting ready for our Yard Sale, which is finally over, and we cleared out a lot of junk. This has kept me from doing MUCH sculpting on the helmet and mask, but I have made a bit of progress. Pictures are what keep this (hopefully) interesting, and lots of parts of my costume are in and just a few more are needed.

 Here are the 2 piece padded suit, gloves, boots, and Shin Guards on my home-made vader mannequin. All parts are placed on loosely and not 'cinched up tight'  The suit is really great, its from a maker in argentina and the upper chest and back are made of 'mesh' fabric for coolness/comfort. I am considering wearing a cooling vest under it during summer use. I got the suit made a bit large for me so i could fit a vest or some chest padding in there. The actor who played vader had a 54 inch chest i believe. I DON'T.
 Same shot as before but with the inner robe/surcoat on. As you can see it still needs pleats added, and to be hemmed. The mannequin height is probably different enough from my own that the hemming will wait until I can put the pieces on and have the length checked out.
 This pic is large because its where we can see everything really starting to come together. That inner robe definitely needs pleats (vertical fold lines sewn in) And the Codpiece is coming soon. Chest and belt boxes are premade and done for now, I may make improvements at a later date. Need to add a lightsaber hook to the belt.
 Here you can really see the progress. Its starting to look very much like Vader himself from Empire Strikes Back (Each movie has noticeable differences in the suit.. at least noticeable if you are BUILDING one.) The cape is just draped on there and not attached, as is the helmet. There are a lot of little 'attachment belts, clips, snaps, etc that need to go on before it's really 'Wearable'

See the shot below for details in the face so far. I will be gone for about a week then i should get going on the 'teeth' and finish up all the details in the face.

 Just really pleased with the progress here. Can't wait to finish up the sculpting and prepping for paint...
In this shot the boxes are actually lit. The chest box does a sequence of turning the lights on and off that mimics the film. The belt lights stay on all the time. That belt buckle is solid metal and finely machined and this is a good shot of it.

I can't wait to make some more progress!!

No comments:

Post a Comment